Saturday, May 17, 2008

Bittersweet

So, it's early on Saturday morning and we're getting ready to go to the ball fields. For the last time. It's Connor's last game of the season. It's his last T-ball game. Ever. He won't be playing Rookie ball in the fall because he wants to take a break, maybe try soccer. Although he's a great baseball player, a natural talent who, at six years old, can hit a ball over the outfield fence, he might not play again. Alas, the whims of children must be followed.



It's sad, though. We went through this last season with my daughter. A long time softball player, she decided that after three years she'd had enough.
It's funny how, as an adult, you become so invested in your kids activities. I'm not a sports fan myself and my kids play sports not in the hopes of a college scholarship, fame and fortune or even some sort of childhood status.
They play because:
a. I think that the more physical activity the better and
b. Because I want for my kids to develop the ability to function in different sorts of social situations. To learn how to integrate themselves into an environment, find their way and succeed, make friends, thrive. That's something that I was never given as a child and I found out later how important it is.
But, it's become a social situation for me, too. It's one of the few places that I see adults on a regular basis and am able to interact on a deeper level than, "No thanks, I've brought my own grocery bags. Please use them."
So, now I will lose my little group of baseball friends. I will no longer spend Wednesdays and Saturdays at the fields, an activity that I have been doing for almost four years. I'm happy that my little guy has the confidence and curiosity to move on, try new things, adventure but I'm sure going to miss it.
Soccer Mom? Hhhmmm........
Well, in a startling and abrupt change of subject, here are some new lampwork beads that will be coming up next week:

~Baja~
This is a reduced Kronos II bead with a lot more blue than you can see in the pictures. It has a gorgeous metallic finish on it.


~Softly~
Connor calls this on 'Mr. Squid'. Whatever. It has absolutely gorgeous color.
~Prom Night~
A very pretty bead with different color on each side.
~Roswell~
This was going to be a pressed focal but I liked the way it looked in it's original shape so much that I just left it. You can't see it in the pics but it has silver foil deep inside that gives it a bubbly little shimmer.
Have a great day, everyone.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics