Thursday, March 5, 2009

Heartbreaking

Maybe you already know about this. Yesterday, I came across a blog post that told the heartbreaking story of a little boy, Zachary Cruz, from California who was killed while crossing the street with his after-school group. The family is having a hard time and could use some help with funeral expenses and - perhaps more importantly - with their grief. If you could visit the site that was set up for him, offer your prayers and support and give what you can, I am sure it could help ease their burden of sorrow in some small way.

I don't know this family. But I do know what it's like to be a mother.

I know what it's like to dream of your children and their bright, brilliant future.

I know what it's like to have a beautiful, lego-loving, baseball-playing little boy whose smile is as big as his heart and whose eyes see each new day as an adventure.

I know what it's like to receive that special kind of love that a little boy gives only to his mommy.

I can't even imagine - nor do I want to try - what pain this family must be in but I do know that I was brought to tears at the very idea of what happened. To think that I could send either of my kids off to school in the morning and then never again feel their arms around my neck or their sweet kiss on my cheek is almost incomprehensible.

And I know that last night when my little guy played his first Rookie baseball game of the season, I cared nothing about the fact that they got stomped 22-3. I didn't care one bit about the fact that he goofed off in the outfield or that he almost forgot to run to first base after he hit the ball. When the game was over, I scooped him up and told him how proud I was of him and that I hoped he had the best time ever playing with his friends. I carried him all the way to the car and I let him have ice cream, even though he hadn't eaten dinner.

So, hug your kids today and tell them how much you love them. Don't obsess over the small stuff. Count your blessings because - even if it doesn't always feel like it - I'm sure you have many.

And please take a minute to visit Zach's tribute site and let his family and friends know that there is a wave of love and support out there that will pick them up and carry them on when they feel like they just can't make it any further on their own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics