Saturday, September 27, 2008

Goodbye, Paul Newman

Just heard about Paul Newman a little while ago.

Wow. I mean, you know it will happen. It happens to everyone. But Paul Newman? One of my oldest memories - my first movie memory - was of watching "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" with my dad. It was never Redford for me. I've always been a Newman girl.

I took my kids to see "Cars" solely because Paul Newman was the voice of Doc, the Fabulous Hudson Hornet.

I've always thought there should be a crayon called "Paul Newman's Eyes".

Mr. Newman was a wonderful actor but more than just that. More than just that great voice, that slightly dangerous smile, those legendary blue eyes.

He was an activist and a humanitarian long before it was "The" thing to be in Hollywood. Long before Ms. Jolie. He gave millions to charities, started several foundations and never failed to not just speak out about something he believed in or was opposed to but to actually do something about it.

He was apparently a good and faithful husband and father. And if he wasn't, his family still loved him enough not to talk about it.

He was a person who knew how to live life. He did the things he wanted to do, far past the age when most would attempt it.

I'm not a fan of movies in general. I don't follow Hollywood or it's tawdry gossip. I don't watch award shows where they all pat them selves on the back for being so fabulous.

But this is different.

Goodbye, Paul Newman and thank you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics